This is Christmas Season so there are ample reasons to bake the Christmas Rich Fruit Cake !!! So today I will be sharing with you all my Christmas Fruit Cake recipe. After baking lots of chocolate cake I thought it would be great to come up with a rich fruit cake. Rum cake is a very English traditional way of baking and I always wanted to try doing it. Read a few recipes and started preparation by soaking the raisins and dried fruits in rum at least a week before.There are a whole lot of other stuff like nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon powder Whoa! So many flavours into this one rich fruit cake.Christmas cakes are a treat for everyone but has lost its reputation over the years and i am determined to change that. I have tweaked the recipe a bit that it takes less time and results in much more appetizing treat.
I had loads of fun baking my rich fruit cake 🙂 Next year I will be doing lots of baking and cooking. So expect a lot of food posts on my blog till then Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! Stay happy, Stay Blessed!!
Christmas Rich Fruitcake Recipe
- For soaking
- ½ cup rum
- 1 cup dry fruits and nuts (combination of raisin, dark raisin, seedless dates, pitted prunes, glazed cherries, tutti frutti, almonds, cashewnuts and walnut)
- 1 tbsp Orange zest
- For Cake
- 1 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup olive oil / vegetable oil (or) 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- Finely chop all the dry fruits and nuts and mix with orange zest. Take a jar or wide glass bowl. Combine rum & fruits and nuts mixture.
- Make sure that all the fruits are soaked well in rum. Cover it well and keep it for atleast a week. All the rum will be absorbed by fruit n nuts mixture. If you have left over rum, then you can use it in cake.
- Beat brown sugar and honey using hand whisk or electric beater till smooth. Add one egg at a time and beat it again. Now, Add vegetable / olive oil and beat it. Keep it aside.
- Sieve maida, salt, baking powder, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder. Add flour mixture to wet mixture slowly and combine well with spatula. Finally add soaked fruits and nuts. And just fold it. Don't over-mix the batter.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Pour this batter into the greased cake tin and bake for 30-40 mins or till a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Take out the cake from oven and let it cool completely.
- Using a fork or toothpick, prick the top and sides of the cake and brush with rum. Wrap the cake tightly with cling firm or foil sheet and keep at room temp. Slice it and serve.
- For non-alcoholic version, you can use apple juice, orange juice, grape juice or combination of apple & orange, vice-versa. For alcoholic version, try with rum, wine or brandy.
There are 10001 ways to stay in touch but unfortunately, I use only 4 so follow me on Facebook(Online community for Moms),Instagram(my All that mom life), Pinterest (creative DIY ideas ),Twitter (daily dose of fun Parenting Tweets). Stay in Touch 🙂