Home remedies for cough and cold in babies or infants is pretty common. It is one of the common infections which they tend to catch and you could probably expect it at least 5 times during the first year. No matter whatever form of safety mechanisms you do put in place, cold and cough are bound to arise in babies at some point of time.
The reason for it is that babies are more prone to infections or diseases. They surrender meekly in front of infections and their immunity power is not as strong as an adult. You ought to give consideration to the fact that the immune system of a baby is at a developing stage and there are not well equipped to ward off the threat of infections. Quite often a question is posted on what can I do to help my baby’s cough.
What are the main reasons for kids catching cold?
The main reason for cold in babies is because of the virus in the air. Change of weather, be it hot or cold climatic conditions could lead to cold.
Once you take note of the fact that your kid has a stuffy nose, you are tense but consider it on a different level. It is a manner where the mucus is being thrown out of the body. A cough is generally accompanied by cold as well in most cases.
Now on the lookout for some Home remedies for cough and cold in babies? It is indeed a struggle to come across cough remedies as you do not want to stuff them with antibiotics.
Once the weather pattern changes, all of us are prone to cough or colds. In fact, it could be accompanied by bouts of fever as well and most of the adults to get it.
But trust me kids get the rough side of the coin. They are bound to be cranky with a runny nose and the discomfort aspect is the most important point to be considered.
But there is no need to panic and immediately resort to cold and cough medicine as there are some trusted Home remedies for cough and cold in babies which will come to your rescue. The best part about these remedies is that they are devoid of any forms of side effects.
The symptoms associated with cough and cold
In normal cases, the symptoms associated with cough or cold tends to be confusing for most parents. The question is how do you figure out whether a cold is different from a fever? But there is no need to lose sleep as with careful analysis it is easy to distinguish.
Cold is accompanied by sneezing, a slight congestion along with a mild rise in your body temperature. On the other hand, the symptoms of fever are more severe as it can cause body pain, throat infection etc. When it is cold or cough, you normally allow the doctor to prescribe cough medicine for you but even common cold requires proper diagnosis.
Natural Home remedies for cough and cold in Babies and Toddlers (According to their Age)
Cold and cough remedies for babies up to 6 months
To start off finding cough remedies for babies under 6 months is a significant challenge of sorts. Please avoid any oral remedy for kids below 3 months of age.
1. Breastfeeding the baby– Breastfeeding is one of the common solutions to treat home remedies for cough and cold in the new born. Breast milk is going to eradicate any problem which your child possesses. Breastfeeding also fosters the immunity of a child and wards off bacteria, virus or germs.
2. Heat a greased pan which you would have used for making chapati, put water in that let the water boil off and only 1 tablespoon is remaining, let the water become lukewarm and feed that water to your baby.
3. Ajwain Potli– they are embedded with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The ajwain should be put on a pan and then make a potli out of it from a cotton cloth. This needs to be applied to the chest, palms or feet of the baby. Make it a point that you do not rub on the naked chest of the baby
4. With the help of nasal saline drops, you are going to get relief from the blocked nose.This works out to be a perfect solution in getting rid of a blocked nose. If you put saline drops in your nostril this is going to clear your nose. If your baby has a stuffy nose, you can buy a nasal spray from the pharmacy or online from here Little Remedies Saline Drops
5. Vicks baby rub- when the baby is known to have chest or nose congestions, this has an impact on the sleeping patterns as well. To make it a point that your child has a peaceful sleep, try this quick remedy to put your child off to sleep. For this process, you would just need a bottle of Vicks along with a pair of socks. Just rub the feet of your kid and cover them with socks. When my baby was 4 month old i had used this technique and worked really well so i definitely suggest this for kids below 6 month.
You can buy Vicks Rub for Babies in any pharmacy shop but because this product is not sold widely you may find it difficult to find in every shop, instead buy online Vicks Baby Rub
6. Jaiphal or Nutmeg is very effective for cold, make a paste of jaiphal using breastmilk and rubbing it in a board(Chakla), one pinch is enough for your little one. This is also something which moms give their baby everyday.I Prefer giving my little one only when he is not well.
7. Humidifier- You could go on to place it in your room so that it becomes easier for the kid to breathe
8. Garlic pods- this is an age-old remedy that promises instant results. This method has been adopted by my grandmother as one of the effective home cough remedies for kids. Some garlic pods need to be tied in a piece of cloth, and then it should be placed around the neck of the baby at night.
9. Elevation of the head- when the baby is sleeping, do make his or head elevated by putting a pillow under their bed
10. Mustard Oil with Burnt Garlic is also very good, warm this oil and massage baby’s chest, hands, nails, back and apply little bit near the nose. Cover the legs with socks and also body with a blanket. This will provide the warmth and help in healing.
11. Adding Breastmilk in Nose is very good for babies, some mothers squirt breastmilk in baby’s nose and that helps to relieve them from cold.
Cold and cough remedies for babies 6-12 month
I don’t resort to cough medicine for wet or dry cough but first look for home remedies for 2-3 days and then visit the doctor. If your baby is allergic to any food items then please avoid that home remedy.
12. Panikoorka-the Panikoora juice that is extracted from a fresh and perennial plant found in South India. With the help of this juice, the cough along with chest congestion of babies is removed. In fact, the aromatic leaves are wilted, then put on a stove and put on the forehead of a baby .it is at this point of time, the leaves are known to dry up that indicates the absorption of water which is a welcome sign for the baby from any form of congestion or cold.
13. Rest- there is no substitute for rest and this pretty much answers your question on what to do with a baby of cough. When the baby is not sleeping encourage him to take part in small activities. You could teach him various rhymes or encourage him to talk on phone with their grandma.
14. Rogan Badam Shreen is again a very good oil to help increase the body heat and provide immunity, 2-3 drops of oil in baby’s milk if bottle feeding or in baby food is enough. This is a great remedy to provide heat and immunity in kids. I have been using this for two years now and my baby’s immunity is improving everyday and he now gets less of runny nose these days.
Get this product from any ration store or you can buy online from here Hamdard Roghan Badam Shirin
15. Steamy hair-Steam or vaporizer loosens the mucus in the nasal passages. In hindsight, a warm bath also works out to be relaxing.
To give steam you either keep it on in the room where the baby is kept and close the room or if you can keep the baby in your lap and switch on the vaporizer for some time, do not keep the baby too close to the vaporizer. To give it in an enclosed space you can also use the bathroom.
You can buy online from here Dr. Morepen Vaporizer
16. Increase the intake of fluids- this is one of the best Indian Home remedies for cough and cold in babies. Opt for a drink that your kid enjoys a lot. Plain water may work out to be a great option but it may not be all that appealing to your kid. It is better to stick to breast milk if your kids are less than 6 months old unless the doctors have a different point of view on this.
With a small baby, making soup every day was a cumbersome task for me so I found an amazing thing online and that’s called Philips Soup maker, i know its a bit expensive but you just put all the ingredients and switch it on for 20 minutes and forget about it. After 20 minutes soup is ready. there is no waste everything gets grinded so very healthy. Also, the soup tastes yummm and you can make soup out of anything i.e. pumpkin, carrot, beetroot anything!!!
You can buy it online here Philips Soup Maker
17. Turmeric (Kacchi Haldi) is a great antibacterial thing, roast the turmeric and then grind it.Make a paste of it and then apply it in baby’s hand and leg and also on the chest overnight. Cover the body properly. These are a strong antibacterial remedy and also a lot of care should be taken like air should not be allowed to pass through!!!
18. Water with cumin or ajwain- warm water should be provided at regular intervals so that the baby is hydrated. In any disease being hydrated is very important. The baby could be cranky and the best part is that you can give him warm water. Ajwain kadha could be tried at this point of time as well. With Oman, it works as an ideal solution to ward off cold or germs.Ideally, you should take a glass of water and then go on to add ajwain to it. Do wait for the water to boil and the cool the water to use it.
19. Jaggery with ajwain water- you should go on to boil a glass of water and then add a tinge of jaggery and a pinch of ajwain to it. Strain, cool it and then give it to your baby. You should give a dose of a single teaspoon a day.
20. Chamomile tea is very good for cold, prepare it using a tea bag and let it soak for 10 minutes it helps to kill the bacteria and virus.
Home remedies for Cold and cough in babies between 1 to 3 years old
21. Honey- is known to soothe and coat the throat whereby a sore throat is removed. Serve your child around 1 to ½ teaspoons of honey by spoon. Then squeeze lemon that adds a tinge of vitamin C along with hot water to the honey. Since honey happens to be a stick substance it is important that the child brushes his teeth after having it when served at bedtime. A point to be noted is that kids should not be served honey before their first birthday as it can cause rashes to develop.
22. Tulsi and ginger tea- Go on to boil around 10 cups of water and add some grated ginger to it. Boil the water till it reaches to half. Then cool it and give it to your toddler with a spoon. If the toddler is not able to gulf up, then add a tinge of honey to it
23. Turmeric milk– is one of the common Home remedies for cough and cold in babies. The beauty of turmeric is that it works against infections because of its antiseptic properties. To one cup of milk add half a teaspoon of haldi and give it to your child at breakfast or when he is about to sleep.
24. Kadha– well, this recipe belonged to my grandmother and this helps me till now for my little one whenever he is down with cold, i have hardly given him any medicine till now for a cough and cold. This works well fro runny nose too.
25. Ghee & Black Pepper – This tip was once told to me by a friends mom and i have tried this many times and it has always worked for my little one. Just grind fresh black pepper and a pinch of ghee and give it to your little one. The black pepper must be finely grounded else the little one might throw it away.
26. Hot khichdi- this is one of my favorite recipes in our childhood days. When you are sick this used to be the meal. Trust me you are not going to suffer a loss of appetite for sure. In the meantime comfort along with nourishment is assured and if possible add a tinge of pepper along with ginger to it. The best part is that it works wonders for all age groups. In fact, a lot of mothers tend to use it as a soup recipe for cough or cold.
27. Camphor embedded with coconut oil massage- to start the process you would need to warm coconut oil. Then taking it from the stove you would need to add a tinge of camphor. Then go on to massage your baby in a mild manner
28. Karpooradi Thailam-this is an ayurvedic medicine and if you have access to Kerala stores in your area, then opts for this medicine. When your kid has cold or cough, you can massage them with this thailam. Instant results are assured in the shortest time frame possible.
29. Saffron milk- Well of you would have heard of Kesar milk. Yes, we are talking about it in general. It is an excellent remedy for cough or cold in toddlers. To a single cup of boiled milk, add in a few strands of saffron. Then you should allow the milk to cool and then strain off the saffron threads and then before the kid goes to sleep it should be offered to them.
30. Saunth Powder – Friend Priya’s “Dadi Maa ka Nuskha” is Saunth Powder mix with Honey. She always gives this to her kid and completely trusts this remedy.
Home remedies for cough and cold if kids are more than 4 years
31. Ginger coupled with garlic tea-Make it a point that you include garlic or ginger in your cooking ingredients every morning. They are not only the best remedies to ward off cold, but your immunity of the body is enhanced.
32. Jurgle of salt water- this works out to be the best method in terms of home remedies for cough and cold removal in infants.
33. Netipot- A small, thin, long and a straight spout. In fact, mainly it is being used for sinus relief and it is only suggested to use for older kids as they have to be very cooperative. In order to use this, you would need boiled and cooled water in the pot. The kid should lean over towards the sink with their head tilted sideways. It should be done in such a manner so that the water drains out completely. You would then need to insert the sprout into the nostril and it should be done in a proper manner so that the water is being able to flow out from the same nostril. The mouth needs to keep open and then the kid should be able to breathe through the nose.
Netipot is an amazing thing and works wonderful, you can buy this online from here Jala Neti Pot
34. Homemade masala tea- trust me if your kid is rejecting every home syrup that you are making, then you should try this for sure. Make a homemade masala tea in your home with ingredients like ginger kadha, pepper etc. Then offer this to your kid. Because of the anti-inflammatory or antibacterial properties, it tends to ward off cold along with cough. This is all due to the properties of the species that are included.
35. Honey along with cinnamon- hereby you should take a teaspoon of honey and then add a tinge of cinnamon to it. When your child has bouts of cold or cough do offer it to your kids.
36. Pepper and Turmeric Milk – My friend Nayeema’s son is 5 years old and she swears for Pepper and Turmeric milk which is the best cure for his son’s cold Especially with runny nose.
37. Kapoor – My Relative Deeksha’s kids are above 7 years old and she gives them a handkerchief tied with 2-3 Kapoor pieces of kapoor to inhale. This helps them in blocked nose and chest congestion.
Kids fall sick very regularly and sometimes one home remedy doesn’t work so we want to try another one. With so many remedies available we get confused sometimes or not able to recall. Checking the internet everytime is not possible. So i made this handy image which can act as a quick reminder, save this image for all the Home remedies for cough and cold in babies according to their age!!!
You must be wondering how long does Cold last in infants or toddlers , well its difficult to say that but if you don’t see home remedies working for 2-3 days then definitely visit the doctor instead of just relying on the remedies.
If you liked this post then please share this on any social media channel and spread the word!!!
What precautions could you adopt in preventing your babies from catching cold?
Though there is no full proof method of preventing cold or cough there are indeed some home remedies for cough and cold. Let us analyze them in details.
- Vaccination – go for a flu vaccination if you have not adopted it earlier
- Hygiene needs to be maintained– ask your kids to wash their hands after each and every meal. This is the time where the germs make their entry on to the body
- Avoid sharing – you may want your kids to share, things, but not at the cost of spreading germs. Do prevent your kids from sharing things around with the fellow members. You are not aware of who is vary around germs
- No sharing of towels– do not shower love for your kid by sharing your towel. In fact, there are numerous other ways of showering your love and let your kid use their own towel. If possible get them a pair of disposable tissues as well.
- Healthy diet– ensures that your kid is part of a balanced diet by providing them with all the essential nutrients or vitamins they need. This will help them ward off the potential threat of infections or germs as well.
A word of caution
Though most of the home remedies are full proof, sometimes the little ones are prone to allergies of some substances. It is suggested that you seek the expert opinion of your doctor before you adopt any home remedy. This is all the more so when it evolves cough medicines.
This pretty much concludes our discussion about the common Home remedies for cough and cold in babies and toddlers. The best part about these remedies is that you can try it in your own home in a simple manner and they are completely natural remedies . If you liked this post then please share this with your friends and family using the share button!!!
If you liked this post then pin it to your favorite board!!!