Should you use a Nursing Pillow? Do you own one? Does it really help in breastfeeding ? How to use a nursing pillow?
If you’re wondering this and more…Then you are at the Right place!!!
Pregnancy is a wonderful nine month journey . I remember how emotional i was after seeing my home pregnancy test kit but when the baby pops out it is not anymore like that Sleepless nights, colic, Poop is some stuff you were not prepared for and especially Breastfeeding the baby. It’s like you have no other job than feeding the baby day and night. The right position, latch, burp , back pain are all part of nursing. What if there is something that can help you with all of that and more!!! Yes a feeding pillow also called as the Nursing pillow and you must be wondering how to use a nursing pillow then here I am to help you with that.
What is a Nursing Pillow
A Nursing pillow or a feeding pillow is a curved shape pillow that fits snugly around a mother’s belly to provide her and the baby comfort and support. This is definitely used for breastfeeding so it is called as a breastfeeding pillow but it is also used as a nursing pillow for bottle feeding also.
Do you need a Nursing Pillow
Well, many women don’t know how to use a Nursing pillow or sometimes benefits of the nursing pillow or think they’ll manage without it, so they don’t buy it. But believe me, prevention is better than cure. Nursing pillows are really useful for breastfeeding especially on the back, shoulder arms and neck which pain a lot during nursing. Maintaining the right posture is hard especially when you are nursing for the entire day, it’s that time the Feeding pillow is very useful. So it’s a 100% good investment to go for.
How to choose a Nursing Pillow?
While there are lots of different types of Nursing Pillows available, so it is really important to choose the right type. The right type is one which has a firm (not soft) surface to bear the baby’s weight without getting pressed down. It should have a flat surface (not curved). It should be thick enough to raise the baby to the breast level. And it should ideally have a back support to provide support to you through hours of breastfeeding.
How to use a Nursing Pillow
How to use a Nursing Pillow for Breastfeeding
If you use the Feeding pillow for nursing this provides the best position for breastfeeding a newborn and also helps your body to be in shape and not have any kind of back pain or other discomforts.
- Look for a comfortable and quiet place to sit upright with back well-supported.
- Place the Nursing pillow on your lap.
- Place your Baby on the pillow facing your body.
- Their mouth should be parallel and near to the breast you are planning to nurse from.
- Let your arm rest on the pillow, around your baby
- Nurse your baby.
- Never lower your body or breast to your baby. Raise the Nursing pillow with the help of another pillow if required.
- Now drink coffee, water, watch TV. relax, laugh . Do whatever you can.
You can also use the Feeding pillow to bottle feed your baby in the same way. The Breastfeeding pillow should be positioned very comfortably and let you relax while you are breastfeeding.
How to use a Nursing Pillow for Bottle Feeding – can be used by dads, nannies, grandmothers too!
Using the Nursing pillow to Bottle Feed is similar to using a Nursing pillow to Breastfeed. Babies must not be allowed to hold the bottle on their own until they grow big till then using a nursing pillow to bottle feed the baby is the best way otherwise they can choke.
- Look for a quiet comfortable space where the back is fully supported.
- Place the nursing pillow around your waist.
- Place the baby on their back on the nursing pillow.
- With one hand hold the baby’s head and rest your arm on the pillow.
- With the other hand feed your baby with the bottle.
Sometimes we forget to burp the baby or the head is not elevated properly so baby’s can have indigestion issues but if you feed them using the nursing pillow this problem will not occur.
How to Use a Pregnancy Pillow
During pregnancy as the days pass sleeping is a discomfort and especially when you have to sleep in one angle like only at the sides.
- During this time The C- Shaped pillow is of great help when placed around the belly provides a great support when sleeping on the side.
- Also, there is a great discomfort around the pubic bone due to hormone relaxin which causes stretching in these areas to help the baby exit the uterus so the pillow when placed between the legs provides a lot of support.
- This is also a great pillow after the delivery during the postpartum,it provides the additional support the body needs during this time.
- During Pregnancy don’t wear ill fitted or tight clothes even that is another cause of Back pain !!!
So if we jot down the benefits of these pillows then there are many
- Provides a great support to the back and best position to the baby during breatfeeding so also helps in latching properly.
- It can also be used for bottle feeding .
- It helps to keep the baby away from reflux, colic because it provides the right elevation of the head and also support .
- Helps in post partum days to provide support while sleeping.
- These also act as a support to your baby while helping them learn sitting.
- This also acts as a great tummy time activity tool, helps to make the muscles, arms and legs stronger.
So which is one of the most popular and recommended Nursing Pillow in India?
Well, if you are looking for nursing pillows in India you’ll probably get confused about which to buy. And even more confused if you try to look for nursing pillow reviews. I had myself given up buying a nursing pillow because I din know exactly which one to buy and whether this would be useful or not.
But i have been hearing about this particular brand off and on from friends/readers who have used it- it’s called COMFEED PILLOWS BY NINA (NOT to be confused with similar products of a similar brand name that one sees here and there).
So anyway, few days back me and Nina, founder of Comfeed Pillows and My Stork Story,had a conversation about breastfeeding and she asked me to review her website. So I went browsing through her products and her customer feedbacks, and I was amazed how unusual yet how functional these products were and the entire range was to actually make your 9 month a breeze and even after that!!!
So I finally decided to review her products
My Stork story
Nina is a Mumbai based mom with two great kids and an awesome running business.
She has a small story to share with us about how her business was formed. After spending 7 years in advertising she wanted to pursue her entrepreneurship journey and started with ceramic hand painting and stuff. In 2002 her daughter was born and so life changed dramatically now it was 24*7 about her but feeding the little one was causing a discomfort especially to the back and hip which made breastfeeding not a beautiful experience which she would look forward to. Again in 2004 when her son was born a friend sent her an odd looking pillow called as the breastfeeding pillow. She thought of trying this and was amazed how wonderful this was. Using this she could relax, talk , and laugh all at the same time while her son nursed to his heart’s content.
She was amazed by this wonderful powerful tool and thought how helpful this could be to those thousands of woman who don’t even know about this just like her. So thus in 2007, COMFEED NURSING PILLOW By Nina was born.
With the support of Paediatricians, Lactation Consultants, Prenatal Consultants, etc, there was no looking back..And hence soon followed ComfeedPregnancy Pillows, Wedge Pillows, etc…
In 2016, Nina further launched My Stork Story – a premium maternity & baby-care brand that offers unusual products yet functional designs . Thus making your 9 month journey a sweet and comfortable memory in your life.
This comfeed pregnancy pillow is perfect for expectant mothers and forms a natural shape to your body from head to toe. This is a great pillow to ease the discomfort during those days, helps to sleep in one position specially during the sides.Great for C-Section and a must have for indigestion.
Benefits and features of Comfeed Pregnancy Pillows
- These are made of antibacterial and hypoallergenic hollow poly fibers.
- Helps to sleep on the sides without rolling over.
- Raises your body to ease indigestion and discomfort.
- Unique C-shape thus does not require any other pillow this is enough to provide the entire body a natural shape.
- The Cover is removeable and washable.
- Provides total support to the body thus providing comfort to the back, neck, hip , legs and tummy.
Comfeed U-Pregnancy Pillows
This is another option to the ComfeedPregnancy Pillow which is Comfeed U-Shaped Pregnancy pillow
Benefits and features of Comfeed U-Pregnancy Pillows
- Provides head to foot support on BOTH side of the body so you don’t need to shift the pillow if you turn sides in your sleep
- This is made of superior natural fibres which provides a great comfort and takes the body shape with ease.
- Made of hypo allergens so keeps away common allergies like sneezing.
- Pillow moulds to the body shape every time.
- Light and fluffy so absolutely safe for pregnant ladies and also easily retains its shape.
- All other benefits are just like the Comfeed C- Shaped pillow.
Comfeed Nursing Pillows
Find out What Tara Sharma Saluja has to say about this pillow, She finds as one of the most helpful things a new mom must have!!!
If I have answered the query around how to use breastfeeding pillow then it time to find out the best pillow To prevent the start of posture issues or deal with breastfeeding pain and discomfort in your life, and also if your baby is not getting the right latch, then Comfeed Nursing pillows is the best thing you should be buying right now.
This will provide the best position for breastfeeding the newborn. The Pillow fits securely around the waist . This is the only feeding pillow to have a velcro and buckle…Velcro which helps to put on the strap single handed and quick so the baby does not have to wait long to get in position. Buckle to open it quietly so the baby doesn’t get startled by the noise.
Benefits and Features of Comfeed Nursing Pillows
- Made of High Density Foam
- Helps baby latch properly
- Provides the right posture
- Has built in 7″ back support
- Adjustable strap to securely fit all body sizes
- Velcro strap to put on in 2 seconds AND Silent Release Buckle to open strap quietly if baby has fallen asleep
- Attachable ,removable, and washable cover.
Comfeed Wedge Pillows
As the Size of the Pregnant belly increases so the quality of the sleep decreases but this Comfeed pillow provides the extra comfort through the night. Comfeed Wedge Pillow has a gently angled surface to bear the weight of the heavy belly .
Benefits and features
- This is made of high density foam.
- Supports pregnant belly.
- Lightweight and easily portable.
- Can be used in home, office , driving.
The excellent quality, detail and design of all these products are something every user can vouch for, making them worth the investment for you or to gift to someone.
If you have any queries around how to use/choose a Nursing pillow or Pregnancy Pillow or would like some advice on the same, please contact Nina Jhaveri at the below details!!!
Cell : 09820032950
Email : [email protected]
Website : www.mystorkstory.com
I hope I could answer your query around how to use Nursing pillow. Breastfeeding should be a time to rejoice than send you into panic mode. A feeding pillow can really make your life easier provide the best position for breastfeeding and also provide the required back support. If you decide on buying one do go for the right brand because that makes a lot of difference.
If you liked this post then pin it to your Favorite Board!!!