ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) treatment is a type of assisted reproductive technology used to treat infertility related problems in men and helps many couples to conceive a child. Unlike the traditional IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) in which around 30000 sperms are left in contact with an egg in a Petri dish for the conception, in ICSI a single sperm is injected in an egg for enhanced chances of fertilization.
The process of fertilization
The treatment requires eggs retrieved from the female partner. A single sperm is injected with the use of a specialized hollow needle into the central part of one of the matured eggs by holding it with a special pipette. The needle is taken out once the sperm is successfully injected into the cytoplasm and the eggs are tested for fertilization after 1-2 days.
Ideal candidates for ICSI
ICSI treatment is offered in one of the following cases –
- Male partner with low sperm count or motility.
- Couple’sunwillingness for insemination of donor sperms.
- Low egg retrieval.
- Low ovarian reserve in the female partner.
- A lower degree of fertilization of matured eggs by normal methods.
- Previously failed IVF attempts.
- When the sperms need to be retrieved from the testicles due to their unavailability in the fresh sample because of irreversible vasectomy or injury.
- In the event when frozen sperms need to be used.
- Problems with ejaculation or erection because of diabetes or spinal cord injury.
- When embryos need to be tested to avoid passing on a genetic abnormality.
Why are the chances of pregnancy higher with the treatment?
Although, the conception probability depends on the individual case, adopted ICSI technique and the technical skill of the person performing the procedure, it is observed that the chances of fertilization with ICSI are higher as compared to other conventional treatments.
- Because of the technique of sperm and egg collection and fertilization, ICSI can help you and your partner conceive a child when the other options like conventional IVF are ruled out or have been unsuccessful in the past.
- In conventional IVF methods, ejaculation needs to be in sync with the time of egg collection which is not the case in ICSI as the sperms can even be extracted for the procedure.
- In ICSI, the chances of fertilization significantly rise as the sperm is directly inserted into the egg as contrary to the normal IVF where the sperms are dropped on the eggs
- ICSI has been a proven solution for many couples with unexplained fertility.
In today’s fast and stressful life, infertility is a common issue and you are not alone. If you want to go for ICSI in Bangalore, there are many options available today. The treatment is becoming increasingly popular and has blessed many couples with the babies.