Parenting comes with a wide range of challenges of which keeping their kids safe is one of them especially if you have a girl !!!
With increasing crime in our cities, every week there are stories of – children facing violence, molestation in schools & buses. Recently, First Moms Club conducted a survey on ‘Child Safety Challenges in India’ and almost ALL parents said they constantly worried when their kids were commuting to/from school, when they were playing outdoors or at activity classes and EVEN when kids were at an office day care or commuting from school or classes.
And this fear becomes constant paranoia when you have a daughter! We can’t expect our daughters to sit at home. Even they want to explore the world, push boundaries, be independent and make their own rules. We cannot stop them but we can definitely do something to ensure that they are safe.
So today I want to share with you the story of my friend Ramya whose daughter has just entered High School. That’s the age when kids stop communicating with their parents, they want their independence and don’t want to share everything they are upto.
Ramya was going through a tough phase dealing with her daughter where taking any decision was not easy but she eventually came up with an amazing solution! Let’s read what she has to say.
Ramya shares “When she is back from school I have a barrage of questions – Who she spoke to? What plans is she making with her friends? Did she ever feel unsafe at school or anywhere else today?
Everyday this fear, the thought of losing her was making me more scared. I realized I can’t be a paranoid parent in a hostile world, – If we do then we end up raising an under-confident girl who would be scared to take risks. I just cannot chop her wings and confine her in a golden cage.”
What did Ramya do next?
Although all these years, Ramya had explained to her daughter good touch & bad touch, how to be careful when a stranger tried to approach her but things change when a girl becomes a teenager.
Ramya wanted to know where her daughter was during the day but she nor her husband wanted to give her daughter a mobile phone!
Then, one day, she came across a tracker device for kids – MySpottr Child Tracker. She checked out their website and product details and decided that it was exactly what she needed – a device that updates her on where her daughter is going/coming during the day and would also allow her to communicate with her via 2-way calling. Ramya bought it immediately!
When Ramya showed it to me after a few days, I was very curious. I had heard about child trackers but never used one before.
Here is what MySpottr looks like –
It’s as small as a match-box, very light-weight, has its own SIM card and an SoS button with which you can make calls – yep, you heard it right, 2-way calling!
Ramya was very excited and she explained everything about the device – its features and how you can use it:
“The best thing about the device was it is also a communicating device, so while my husband was not in favor of giving my daughter a mobile phone this will help me to be constantly in touch with her. It comes with CE and ROHS Certifications which helps to keep the radiations in control.
I first explored this device for few days before handling it to my daughter to know what all I can do with this device.
- It is a 2-way calling system so with just the press of the SOS button my daughter can call me anytime.
- The Circle of Trust, it can be that I might be busy somewhere attending a meeting so even if I miss the call the call will still be send out to my husband or other family members depending on the circle of trust.
- Yes, MySpottr is the only calling service where you can download the app and define your circle of trust so the call will automatically get forwarded in order of your choice till it is received by someone.
- My daughter is a little frenzy and keeps on dropping things or breaking them. This device is sturdy, light enough to carry and water resistant
- The battery lasts upto 50 hours which is fantastic because with mobile phones and power banks I would not want another device which needs charging every few hours.
- There is a feature in the app to mark SAFE ZONES, like her school, Theatre Class, Friends house, tuitions So the moment she deviates from the Safe zone I immediately get a notification.
- This device is also very affordable, after seeing various options online I know GPS devices are very expensive but this one comes with some amazing affordable monthly plans something like Rs.250 per month which is of course nothing in comparison to my daughter’s safety.
MySpottr ease of use, durability, battery life and features like 2 way calling system, circle of trust, safe zones makes it the most affordable device with all the required features.
I have given this device to my daughter, now I only need to teach her to smartly use it.
Like if there is a lonely route to her destination always press the button and be in contact and keep telling about her location.
As per facts, 95% of the rapes are committed by known people. In such a situation I have always told her to trust her gut feeling and identify the dangerous person they can even be in the safe zones so that time she will have to press the SOS button.
In addition to aforesaid precaution what works most effectively is being friends with my daughter. Our kids open up and share most of the things only if we are friends with them.
MySpottr helps me to keep the track of my child without being too intrusive, giving me the peace of mind.”
Well, after hearing Ramya’s story I feel she took the right step to ensure her daughter’s safety and security. In fact, I found this device quite useful for my Son(4 years old) too Especially when he goes for his activity classes in the van or when he goes down to the park with his Nanny.
I am sharing a quick video which will help you to download and understand how to use this device and configure the Circle of Trust and safe zones!!